[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
No skill just luck • View topic - [approved] Guild Application

No skill just luck

Guild Forum
It is currently Sun May 12, 2024 1:44 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: [approved] Guild Application
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:21 pm  

Character name: Appoa

Character class: Paladin

Professions: Mining and Jewlcrafting (both are at 600)

Talent specs, gear level, Armory link (advanced mode): I play as a Protection Pally and a Retribution Pally.
Here is my armoury link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... a/advanced
II primarily play as a Protection Pally but I am working on a Retribution set as well in case there is a need for dps.

Class Info: I like to play as a Protection pally since there is allot of aoe attacks which makes handling multiple mobs allot easier.
The main abilities that I use are Hammer of the Righteous to get that 10% damage reduction.
Holy Wrath, which is great for high treat on multiple mobs and it has that nice stun on Demons, Dragons, Elementals and Undead.
Avenger’s Shield, which I always use to pull and it’s good for extra aggro on multiple mobs.
I use Sacred Shield every second that I can to reduce damage.
I use Shield of the Righteous for the damage reduction.
I always have Consecration up for that bit of extra aggro, and I use Judgment mainly to get more Holy Power to use Shield of the Righteous or Word of Glory if necessary.
There are the main spells that I use in my rotation. I’ll throw in more spells in there when I see fit.
For Cooldowns, there’s Light’s Hammer which I like to use when we’re handling multiple mobs, and it’s good for that extra bit of healing.
Ardent Defender is one that I only use when I’m in a pinch. I’ve never had to use it to often.
Avenging Wrath is one that I use when I see fit. It helps with additional aggro when I think I need it.

Raid experience: Unfortunately, I've never gotten much of an opportunity to raid. I’ve been looking for a raiding guild for a while now that would be willing to help me learn. I’m not a player that you will find quitting after a few wipes. I’m willing to take the time that’s needed to learn about the bosses since I want to experience this content. It gets rather tiring doing heroic all the time, and raid finder is no better.
As for the bit of experience that I do have, it mainly comes from raid finder, but from I’ve seen, actual 10 and 25 man raids are completely different from the raid finder bosses.

Guild history: I have been in one raiding guild before, and that was it. Most other guild I've been in where ones that were trying to make raid teams, but it didn't pan out.

When can you play: 20-23pm server time will do just fine for me. I’m usually on before then as well.

Where are you from: Ireland

About you: Tell us something about yourself. We want to get to know the person behind the in-game character; after all, this is a team game and it's nice to know the other members of the team and find people with similar interests!
You’ll find me to be a very friendly and sociable person. I enjoying taking the time to help people in this game and I love chatting with new people as well. I’m not sure what more to add to this without blowing my ego out of proportion xD

Why do you want to join and what do you expect from the guild: I want to join this guild mainly to finally get a chance to experience raiding content and I’d like to make a few new friends as well.

Anything else: As of filling out this application forum, I am currently in a guild called Pearl Jam. I’m going to stay in this guild for now until /if I receive an invite to this guild.
Thanks for reading my application.

Post subject: Re: Guild Application
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:01 pm  

Site Admin

Hello there, I'd like to ask few questions - you are applying into pretty well progressing guild, yet you haven't even echanted your rather lackluster gear, not to speak about wrong gems. I'd like you to fix that before we actually consider application anymore.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:10 pm  

I'm working on those right now. I realized that my gear was lacking. If you check the my armoury now, you'll see improvements, and I'm working on getting the proper enchantments.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 12:10 am  

Everything has been fixed now. As best as I can. I'll continue to get better gear for now since there's still a few that I can get from Valor Points.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:42 am  

Hi

I may be out of the knowledge train in terms of what is needed for tankadins since I haven't been playing WoW for a few months now thanks to my studies (honours in biochemistry; it's a bitch), however I'd like to add my opinion since I used to be prot (though my input might simply be very similar to what Raemus may tell you, he's better than me).

The first thing that I noticed when looking at your gear is the stamina ench on your gloves - I would advise changing that to preferably at least expertise, depending on what type of build you are going for, though judging by the small amount of haste you have already added, I'm presuming you're going for the haste build.

Your primary focus when it comes to stat priority for the haste build is to first get hit and haste cap; once you have 7.5% and 15% for these respectively, then you just gem for haste. Additionally, this build is (or was, not sure what the situation is now) only viable if you have at LEAST 10% haste, in addition to being capped to actually land a hit on a boss in a raid.

I also see that you are using JC gems in stamina; while this may be ok at your current ilvl, given that you need to have at least a certain amount of health to sustain heavy hits, I would advise you to change these to haste gems later on when you have a higher ilvl. The same goes for the hybrid gems in non-blue slots, and the pure stam gems in blue slots - change them as you start getting higher ilvl gear - unlike back in the days of TBC/WotLK/Cata, stamina only takes you so far in MoP.

Other final notes: you could change the sword reforge from haste to hit to get closer to the hit cap, and you could try replace the second trinket with a nice epic trinket with say VPs, or try get lucky in lfr :)

In terms of priority, you seem to have a rough idea of what you are doing, which is good; I will say, however, never to forget about your CDs... you said that you've never really had to use ardent defender often - get out of that mindset. If you need to use a CD, use it, unless instructed by the RL that you are to save it for a specific time in the fight. Also, whilst on this note of CDs, don't ever (and I mean EVER; I am guilty of this myself) forget about things like pots or HEALTHSTONES! Dag will KILL you if you don't use it and the raid wipes coz of it. :P

I will end on a positive note though: what I like about your application is your enthusiasm and willingness to change your gear and (hopefully) your play style, depending on how you react to my suggestions :) they are, after all, just suggestions, so take them, leave them, but use the criticism constructively; I'm merely trying to help :). Just be aware that raiding in a progress guild takes a lot of work on your part, so you will need to put in a lot of time to research both the raid encounters (both trash and bosses), as well as constantly researching your class to make sure that you are not overlooking a useful spell or talent; I have often only learned about the usefulness of a spell after overlooking it for a year or more, so yeah, just be on the lookout for extra ways to improve your performance in a raid, and use criticism in a constructive manner.

In any case, I have typed enough and I need to get back to writing my essay; I wish you well with the application and possible future in the guild, and if not, I still hope that you take note of any suggestions that I have stated that are useful in any way :).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:46 pm  

Thanks man, I really appreciate all the advice.

As for the gems, I'll be sure to change them accordingly once I start getting better gear. If you see me geming something wrong, or getting the wrong enchant, it's either the result of not knowing which one is better, or not having the gold the purchase the better enchant/gem.

I'll be sure to Ardent Defender more often now. My lack of it's use, again, comes from my lack of raiding experience. I had a chance to take on MsV 10 man normal yesterday, and though we didn't get past the 2nd boss, I still got I good idea of how a raid team works. (Also, no one stacked on Arcane Velocity).

Again, thank you for all the tips. I'll be sure to take them on board and see where I can improve. =)

Appoa.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:37 pm  

Site Admin

Hello there, thanks for applying.

I don't know a lot about paladins, so I'll leave the comments on that to Xeroxis and Rae; the only thing I'm sure of is that your gear is nowhere near good enough for raiding the current tier (let alone the new raid that's coming in 2 weeks). Therefore, all I can offer you at this moment, is a social spot. You need to get the valor gear and stuff from LFR. For 5.4, we MIGHT try reestablishing our support group that would use alts and unsaved backups to kill whatever they can and gradually gear up; the new flex raid feature could help us here and you could participate in that. I can't really promise anything right now - 5.4 is going to be messy with the connected realms, flex raids, people coming back from breaks and us going into full progress mode, but if you're okay with staying in as social until you can get some reasonable gear, we can give you that.

I am not lazy, I am an effort minimalist.
Q: Horde currently has two very shoutable, very good battle cries. Wondering what I yell as an Alliance character when someone yells 'For the Horde'!?
A: Have mercy?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 11:55 pm  

As of right now, I'm in a guild that's working on getting a few people geared got ToT. I'm going to take the time to do some LFRs to get some gear, and to get more from Valor after I get my reputation with the Shado-pan assault up more. the ilvl 502 gear from them would help me out allot.

Again, I appreciate all the feed back from you guys and I'll use this information to help build up my character better.

If you do reestablish your support group, I'd be happy to join that.

Thanks again =)

Appoa.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 8 posts ]