No skill just luck

Guild Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ] 
 Post subject: [approved] Daanie - Protection paladin - Raider/Social
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:46 pm  

Character class: Protection/Retribution Paladin

Professions: Blacksmithing and Mining, they’re not maxed yet, but I am working on that. Got holidays, so more than enough time to fix it :). I kind of leaved it after I leveled my professions on alliance, seeing that they would remove the stat increases in WoD.

Talent specs, gear level, Armory link (advanced mode): I have been playing a Protection/Retribution paladin since end Wrath of the Lich king. Currently item level 551, since this character was kind of demoted to an alt. I’ve been playing and raiding on a Prot/ret paladin on Alliance (I know, traitor and all that) for a while. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... e/advanced (My main is Tylan on wildhammer alliance, and I’ll link his armory too so you can make sure my progress and knowledge gear wise is valid: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... n/advanced)

Respeccing: I can play Retribution, and I enjoy playing it, so If I need to respec it’s not a big deal. However, Ret is very gear based this tier, so because of the fact that I don’t have a lot of gear at the moment, my dps won’t be as good (yet!). I have never really tried Holy before, but from my previous experiences I found out that I am not the best healer.

Class Info: I think Protection paladins are the most fun class in the game. They bring a whole lot of raid utility and have amazing self- and off heals which are very useful and extremely funny to see when they crit on a boss fight (1,9 million Eternal Flames on raidbosses ftw :D).

For rotation I use:

(Single target encounter) Avenger shield, judgment, crusader strike, consecration and then Holy wrath, Holy prism (only when im tanking the boss, since you’ll get the most value out of it.) and Hammer of Wrath as fillers. For holy power consumers I always have Eternal flame up and during the time that it’s up I’m using Shield of the Righteous, which gives physical damage reduction and makes your next eternal flame more powerful.

The only difference from a single target encounter is that in multiple target fights I’ll always have consecration up and switch crusader strike with Hammer of the Righteous, since it is the same ability but does aoe instead of single target.

For stat priority I go: Hit (7.5%)>Expertise (15%)>Haste>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Mastery-Parry/Dodge/crit

The idea of stacking haste for prot paladins relies on the passive ability called: Sanctity of Battle (sounds exciting already, doesn’t it?). This ability makes our haste effects lower the global cooldown of pretty much all of our abilities, but most of all of our Holy Power generators. This allows us to get and spend more holy power, which we can use for our active mitigation ability: Shield of the Righteous. This is an attack that reduces our physical damage taken depending on how many mastery you have (that’s why mastery is the priority after haste) and it increase the power of your next Word of Glory aka Eternal Flame by 34%, and this stacks up to 5 stacks. So the more haste, the more holy power, which means less damage and more healing #profit. As for parry/dodge and crit, it doesn’t matter that much in which you spec after haste and mastery, parry and dodge are nice because of Grand Crusader, which gives an Avenger shield proc that also gives a charge of Holy Power. Crit just makes all your healing and damage abilities hit more every once in a while, it’s not a big difference in dps.

I use my cds when they are necessary or when the raid wants me to use them. I have 2 macros (bound to my mouse button 7 and 9) which pop my Avenging Wrath and Holy Avenger, to use when i need to get threat or when we are using bloodlust and we need some more dps, and the other one is a combination of Speed of Light (talent which increases movement speed by 75%) and Hand of Freedom, so i can move fast and free to nearby adds or away from dangerous stuff.

Raid experience: I have done 10/14 heroic bosses and 14/14 normal bosses this tier, currently progressing Thok heroic. I have done all the t14 on heroic, and atm 11/13 t15 heroic. Done 6/8 heroic Dragon Soul and some of the ICC when that was current content. I also have 2 times Challenge mode gold on a Prot paladin and Prot warrior on alliance and 5/9 gold at the moment on this char.

My favorite moment in raiding so far was killing Madness of Deathwing on normal with my friends, even though it wasn’t that big of a deal compared to other heroic bosses, everyone screaming when it almost died and eventually when it died, was an epic and unforgettable experience.

Guild history: Ive been in a number of different raiding guilds: INSANE, Pity is a Sickness, Silent Era (left all because raid teams fell apart) and now I am in Chaotic Intent. On Alliance I’ve been in Collusion (they changed server, sadly) and I am now in Anima (though I do not raid with them, but another guild on Balnazzar).
When can you play: Times are perfect for me, can even start half an hour early if needed since I usually raid from 7:30 st till 11:00 st. I prefer to raid on Friday, Saturday and Sunday, since I have a busy school that (sadly) requires more attention than WoW sometimes. However I can try and see what other days I’ll have available after summer, since I’ll have my new schedule by then.

Where are you from: I am from the little country called The Netherlands, who sadly didn’t win the world cup this year ;(.

About you: My name is Daan, and I’m a student from Holland. I love playing all sorts of games and most of all, WoW. Besides gaming, I play guitar and Baseball, but also enjoy playing football. And I like to have a laugh :D.

Why do you want to join and what do you expect from the guild: I’ve played with a lot of this guild’s members over the years and I’ve always enjoyed it. I also have a few friends in your guild and would love to be in the same guild with them. The fact that you are also a very good progressing raid guild makes it all even better. I’m kinda done with all the guilds that I joined falling apart and since this one has been around for so long, I’d love to join it J.

UI and keybinds: I’m using a Razer Naga mouse. The bottom tier of my spells is bound to my keyboard, the second tier to my mouse (so basicly, cooldowns are all on mouse) and the third tier is bound to shift+keyboard.

Anything else: I am in the WoD beta, so can join in raid testing or just any other fun stuff that you guys would wanna do there :D. I have a dk alt and a non-used level 90 boost, so if I would have to reroll, that would be possible (however I prefer playing my paladin, obviously).

I also have a few friends in your guild already, Simon (or Xeroxis) and I’ve played a lot with Webdev in the past.

Yeah that’s it really, thanks for reading and hope to hear from ya soon.

Attachments:
Daanie UI.jpg
Daanie UI.jpg [ 765.45 KiB | Viewed 15088 times ]

Post subject: Re: Daanie - Protection paladin - Raider/Social Application
PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:50 pm  

I've played with Daanie a few times, and aside from being a decent pala player that knows what he's doing, he's also a nice guy and quite mature for his age surprisingly :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:01 am  

Was playing with Daanie long ago indeed, when i was starting/trying to raid. Then we kinda split into different guilds.
He was playing prot pally since those times (3-4 years ago i believe) so i think he should know what he's doing.

The only problem i can see is with your raid times, cause i think our main raiding days now are Wed/Thu/Sun/Mon.
Also current raid group is packed to full and, whatever the officers decision would be, we can't guarantee you a raid spot.
Unless it is an alt-run (usually on Tue) or some other random normal/flex etc.

Also, a quick question to you:
Don't you have any difficulties to track health/buffs/debuffs on yourself and/or raid teammates by using the default UI?
Or do you have some kind of addon which helps you tracking such things with ease?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:22 am  

Hi, and thank you for responsief so fast.
For your question Webdev, i haven't really had any big issues so far on tracking buffs/debuffs using this ui. I'm using Dbm (like everyone should) to see when boss abilities are incoming and i have a focus on the other tank to check his debuffs/cds. I've tried to use Weakauras a few weeks ago but couldn't quite figure out how it works.

For the days, i've talked to an officer and he said days for WoD werent decided yet. And i wouldnt mind just joining alt runs because the days don't fit me and my gear still isn't very good.

I hope this answers your questions Webdev :)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:54 pm  

Hai, sorry for being slow.

Please explain your rotation again/in more detail, as what you wrote is completely wrong (if I understood what you wrote correctly)
Both your characters have Glyph of Divine Protection, Holy Avenger and Holy Prism, so I'm gonna assume thats something you use on every fight, explain these choices, please.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:50 pm  

Hi again,

To answer your question, i'll talk about my glyphs and talents first.

I use glyph of Divine protection because in most of the SoO fights there is a lot more physical dmg going on than magical damage, and for that I like to have another cooldown. I use Holy Avenger because it enables you to build a lot of threat quickly and it gives you a lot of stacks SoTR aswell, which reduces the physical damage you take during Holy Avenger and for around 20 seconds after the effect of Holy Avenger expires. I prefer this over Divine Purpose because i don't like the rng playstyle of it, although it might be better once i have more haste. I didn't pick Sanctified Wrath because Holy avenger does way more damage. For holy prism, i'm not always specced into it but i think it is better in fights with 1 or 2 targets, because it does more damage than Light's hammer and gives half of the raid a nice spike of extra healing. I use Light's hammer on fights when there are more than 3 targets, a lot off adds (galakras) or when the group needs extra raid healing, for example on Thok.

For my rotation:
I prioritise my Holy Power generators (Judgment and Crusader strike) while always having Avenger shield on cooldown because when Grand Crusader procs, you get another stack of Hoy power from it. I try to have Eternal flame and Consecration up full time since it's easy extra healing and damage. While Eternal flame is up I use Shield of the Righteous to gain the less physical damage incoming effect and make my next Eternal Flame heal for more. I use Holy Wrath and Hammer of Wrath as fillers because they just do damage, and don't have another benefit. When there are multiple targets, i use my Hammer of the Righteous instead of Crusader strike because it applies Weakened blows on all targets and makes it way easier to keep threat of everything you're tanking.

I hope i answered your question like this and look forward to hearing your opinion.

(side note: im off to Canada for three weeks for holidays in a few days so won't be able to reply once i'm away)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:57 pm  

I guess the DP glyph is up to personal preference, I dislike using it because 1, it reduces my dps and 2, it weakens the effect of our 2p bonus
Holy Avenger is only really good on pull and a few fights (Blackfuse, Thok and Malkorok, basically. But I still use DP on Thok and Malkorok, mainly because of my overgear :p)

Now on to the rotation!
Are you implying you prioritise AS and J over CS? Because that does NOT make you maximize your HoPo regen, as J has a longer cooldown than CS and AS resets the cooldown when GC procs (you should still pretty much NEVER prioritise a GC proc over CS or J, only if you have like a gajillion things hitting you)
Your single target priority is way weird; HW and HoW should come before Consecration

The reason I dislike Prism is that it has a very short cooldown, meaning you can't really fit it in your rotation and it overheals all the time. I'd rather use ES for single target damage or LH as a raid cooldown (it's basically an extra Healing Tide on fights like Thok). LH also aids you in whoring healing rank on a few fights :D the only reason I would EVER use Prism is for snap aoe threat, which is something paladins lack (yes, it is true, all you non-paladins)

Enjoy Canada and sorry! :D I probably missed something/messed something up as this weather is pissing me off.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm  

Thank you for your critism, it is heard and i will improve on it.
I don't prioritise AS over CS and J, But it is always the first ability i use when my Holy power generators are on cd. About HW and HoW, i understand what you said and will change it. I also understand your thoughts on LH and HP, But still prefer prism over ES because it Will do both healing and damage and because (as you noted aswell) i like the snapthreat of it.

I hope all this gave u enough information to make your final decision. I'm leaving this friday morning so if i havent heard from you guys by then, i will respond a bit later :)
Thanks again for your thoughts and hope to hear from ya Soon (tm)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2014 10:30 pm  
Officer

Hey there, our progressionteam is full atm wich i told you before, so all we can give you atm is a social spot.

There is chanses to get in the raidteam later ofc, but we cannot promise that sadly.

If you accept a social spot pls /w us.

Have a good vacation!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 9 posts ]