No skill just luck

Guild Forum
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:48 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: [approved] Thadeus, Warlock Application for Warlords!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:16 pm  

Character name: Thadwalker

Character class: WW Monk I also have a Warlock, Hunter, Boomkin, Warrior and Shaman at max if any of those classes are required.

Professions: He has Enchanting & Engineering.

Talent specs, gear level, Armory link (advanced mode): http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/d ... r/advanced
I am playing WW As a main spec, I really enjoy how it plays similar to a Rogue, but i have always hated rogues so it's better! I have a Brewmaster offspec that i played briefly at the beginning of Mists for Heroic MSV as my guild was in the process of deteriorating at the time and we needed a tank. Gear wise i am about 574 Item level ofc with legendary and heroic weapons. This application is primarily for WOD though so i would like to think i'l get geared very quickly after the expansion launches.

Class Info: I'l be honest, i have not played my monk seriously for a fair amount of time, about 5 months or so while i have had work commitments, However when i did play it was on a priority system based on keeping up Tiger palm, & using RSK on CD, with BOK as Filler, Using TEB between 7-10 stacks and using Chi brew on CD. Xuen as burst (however its basically not as good as other classes :P) I am fairly rusty at the mo, but i do intend to be clued up for Warlords providing i can find a suitable guild :)

Raid experience: The first real tough fight i managed to complete while it was current was Heroic LK 10 with Sons of Anarchy on Wildhammer, we had achieved 9/12 Heroic in 25 man also. I have been raiding since Naxxramas 25, In which i completed all but Sarth3D. Ulduar i only managed to get up to Vezax 25 as i wasn't in a raiding guild at the time. Sons of Anarchy took me to Heroic LK and Sinestra 2nd on Server, and through Firelands Normal, We achieved Realm 2nd Shannox, and 1st Ryolith in 2nd week of release, however the guild dispanded at that point, I Joined Infamy on Horde and took down 6/7 Heroic current and Ragnaros after DS. DS i managed Heroic DW at 20% nurf with Infamy in their main 10 man team, then again on 25 Man. I then went through MSV as 10 man Heroic and was eventually came away from the game after 4 / 6 Heroic before HoF as i had to work.

Guild history: All of the guilds i have listed above i have joined for casual competition, as in, I like to complete content when it is current and battle for realm firsts. i have not been able to do that for a few years now and i really want to get back into it. I think i enjoyed my time in Sons of Anarchy the most as a deputy GM. i have taken officer roles and responsibilities in all these guilds. I really just want to get into a guild I know from the past and enjoy the progression raiding experience another time.

When can you play: I am going to be starting University in September, That means i will be there for 12 Hours per week, usually 4 days and have lectures dotted around here and there. I will be able to play whenever i am home so most evenings should be fine. I work 16 hours a week as well, but i will only be working 1 night during the week, which is yet to be decided but i can work around NSJL's raid days. Weekends i will be working during the day but free on evenings (if the mrs's permits).

Where are you from: I am from England!

Age: I'm 20 years old, I'm not sure about parent rage but girlfriend rage could be an issue, i will try to keep her calm and understanding. ha

About you: Well, I am going to be a Student again! I dropped out in 2013 to pursue a career which has now failed, so i'm going back, I've been working at Halfords part time since 2012 aswell. So i'm usually fairly busy, I have a girlfriend of 4 years now, I'm thinking about getting engaged (i have been for about a 18 months ha). Big steps, I'm very tall and i love a good pun.

Why do you want to join and what do you expect from the guild: I want a solid raiding guild that can help me progress through content in Warlords, i have been on and off this expansion, and i have to say it has not been anywhere near as enjoyable as it has been in BC, WOTLK And Cata. I think this guild is well established and as i have found one member who remembers me from days of old (Dahlia). I think there might be more of you who remember me.

UI and keybinds: I have not been seriously raiding for a while, i feel like this one is out of my league for the time being, I do use Keybinds to raid with but as i have no main character per say, i haven't really invested enough time into a character to set up a full UI.

Anything else: I have certainly done my time on Wildhammer, I currently play on Draenor, if i am accepted i am going to make use of the FCM's that are available at the moment, so time is of the essense :$ if i can't i'l only be able to bring one character over. my Battletag is Mitch#2789 so please add me if you would like to have a conversation :) it is my day off today so i will check back at this application when i can :)

Thank you for reading!

See you soon! (hopefully)

Post subject: Re: Thadeus, Warlock Application for Warlords!
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:07 pm  

Officer

Wait... You... I remember you! In the mountains!
IN THE MOUNTAINS!

First of all, hello there. It's always good to hear from someone that you used to play with after a long time, especially those that you remember as being particularly good (among the astonishing number of bads that's plaguing this game) which you were on your warlock.

Second, I like the way you wrote your application overall; it's very informative, clear, few grammatical mistakes.. and as I said I can vouch for you being generally a very good WoW player from my personal experience of running with your warlock. I believe if things went good and you were accepted we could always use a capable body to bolster our Mythic team.

However, some things do worry me that I would like to address:

1- The title says that you're applying with your warlock but you linked the armory of your monk. I will address your monk later definitely being the only one that pretty much mained this amazing-but-not-without-flaws-spec throughout the entire expansion. But if you want to apply with your warlock you would want the opinion of our GM (being the best warlock we have) or any resident warlock in the guild.
2- With the above said, you mentioned having several classes at lv90. That's good and all, but usually it's preferable to play or apply as the ones you think that you can perform with to the best of your ability because that would be more beneficial to your team more than serving the setup for example overall, which is why I suggest usually to leave it up to the applicant to choose the character they're applying with. I have all the classes at lv90 and had the same back at lv85. I am excellent at playing 1 class, very good at 1, good at 1, decent at 2, mediocre at 2, and plain fucking bad at 4 that there's no enough amount of excuses to throw about as to why I am like this at these 4, ever. The point is, you're the best judge of yourself and how you'll be more useful and nobody should pick up what class you should apply as.
3- I think you were joking around about when you mentioned your parents and girlfriend having issues with you playing, but we are usually very serious about that aspect not affecting your availability. A bit of clarification here if necessary is appreciated.

Now onto the real talk, regarding your windwalker:

1- You have a PvP trinket on which I think was left there by mistake?
2- Your rotation and stats priority are pretty much very dependent on several factors these days including your talents setup and gear level. I see that you're gemming to critical strike at this point, which is good as long as you're at around 8k to 8.5k whether that was by speccing Ascension or because your gear amounts to that much stats budget.

Back in ToT and before the change to Chi Brew, everyone specced into Ascension for the extra energy regen and our set bonus at the time gave energy spheres so going the critical strike priority became efficient, despite the priority overall being:

7.5% Hit + 7.5% Exp > Haste till 6k - 8k > Crit > Mast > Haste beyond 8.5k (rough haste values depend on your level of comfort and spec.)

With your gear it's easy to reach these values so you gemming crit is correct in this case up to the 75% white hits crit cap (70% if you use a 2H which you shouldn't unless it's at least a tier/13 ilvl better than your 2x1Hs, roughly too.) whereas a normal modes scrub like me would still feel better to go the haste hybrid gems route since I chose the Chi Brew build which I found better overall for me than gemming Crit and going Ascension (performance wise.) I also like it that you gemmed Agi+Stam for blue sockets because at this level of gear Stamina > Hit which you're already covered at.

3- Your rotation is pretty much spot on but you need to consider the factors you didn't mention:

> Chi Wave to be used on cooldown as long as you're not energy or chi capped.
> Fists of Fury should only be used when you meet the following conditions:
- TP buff isn't falling off during the channeling.
- RSK debuff isn't falling off during the channeling.
- You're not going to cap energy during the channeling.
- You're not going to have to move and interrupt it during the channeling.
Pretty much FoF isn't optimally designed and if done perfectly, would only amount to like 2% of your overall dps, but they're fixing that in WoD.
> Tigereye Brew now should only be used at 10 stacks since it stacks up to 20 now. A lower than that is a waste due to the mastery buff.

As for WW burst, while it's still lacking opening with 10 stacks of TEB with the help of Chi Brew at the beginning of the the fight in addition to Xuen amounts to a very considerable amount of burst these days because of the mastery change. Although this tier you might want to spec for RSJ for the adds heavy fights as it gained a considerable buff in 5.4.

4- Your choice of glyphs. I like it how you chose the BoK glyph as a minor since it provides you with a dps advantage, but I would argue that you might want to glyph into SCK for one of your major slots at least as that can provide very useful in the fights you're not using RSJ.

5- You mentioned nothing about Storm, Fire & Earth. Can you provide an example on when this spell is useful in the current tier?

Pretty much overall I have no complaints (despite what the above sounds like) and if it came down to me I would recommend you for our Mythic team just based on how you used to play your warlock. As for WW performance, that's something our current main team have to see for themselves how you perform as in some of their runs or something else. I am not sure how their raid team look at the moment and what chance/bosses you can be called to be tested on though.

Good luck. I am /for.

Me: "The lack of Thrall in the ending of HFC is jarring, wtf?"
Cyn: "As if the call for Alliance tears over the redemption of Grom wasn't enough, you want Thrall in it? Wow dude."
Me: *can't stop laughing*

"We will never be slaves! ... But we will be... Conquerors..."
- Grommash Hellscream, Tanaan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:52 pm  

Hey there.

Thanks for taking the time to post this. I decided half way through my application that i was going to put my Monk as my main char and apply through him based on his gear level, and experience on him in mists, being most relevant. I guess i forgot to change the title. apologies.

To clear up, I feel I will be capable of Mythic raiding on both my Monk, and Warlock, the other classes I feel like I have to catch up and learn a lot more about & I was just joking when i mentioned my girlfriend causing me not to play, or raging. She know's I've played wow for a long time and understands that i want to start playing it again seriously.

I'l be honest, regarding my Monk at the moment, i am not up to date on stat prio's and crit breakpoints so what you've told me on here is a great help, definitely something that I will look to improve when I am playing later today. As for rotation I do actively use Chi Wave & FoF where it is necessary, I didn't know about the Tigereye brew only being optimal at 10 stacks so thanks!

I get what you mean by SCK Glyph, I have taken out FoF as it was extremely situational in this tier. Transcendence I mainly kept for HC Seigecrafter so I could do the belt.

I feel like I could have talked about a Storm, Earth & Fire and it was a missed opportunity, in SoO though I found it extremely strong on Protectors, it would be one of the fights I could top the meters using it to damage the three protectors at once, as well as using it when He split's and being able to damage the other three amalgamations together. I also found it very strong for AoE damage on fights like Galakras. I never managed Heroic Shaman's so i'm not sure how productive it would have been, due to them being tanked apart in the guild i was in. It was also really strong on Spoils at certain parts of the fight, as well as for Bats on Heroic Thok, being able to stack Tigereye Brew, Trinkets, Xuen, Storm, Earth & Fire, Blood Fury, Tinker's and Energizing Brew used to melt those things. It had it's place on Garrosh aswell, for adds in the first phase, and desecrated weapons in phase 2. It is an ability I know how to use, I suppose i just overlooked it whilst writing the application.

I hope I've covered everything you've mentioned Dahlia & Thanks for your comments again!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:05 pm  

Officer

I see that you changed the PvP trinket now. Wow, considering your gear it's odd that you're still running with a ToT trinket, and having non optimal trinkets myself I can understand how much of an effect trinkets make this tier, but being a casual raider now doesn't make this as essential for me as it would be for you.

Regarding TEB, during t14 our mastery wasn't related to it and it was combo breaker which we now have as passive (we forgot to discuss CB in the rotation but I can tell that you know what you're talking about so I'm not worried about how you will use your CB procs).. Anyway back to the point. The increase of damage per stack is up to 6% now per stack which makes it more necessary now to get your 10 stacks up before using as 6% is a very considerable amount especially when you need to burst and as you know, we're more of a sustained damage spec so anything that helps us with upping our burst is always welcome. Additionally, the way our mastery works now in 5.4 is that it gives you a % chance to get an additional stack of TEB which will help you in reaching 10 stacks even faster now, so it's not a concern and another reason why it should be considered. Of course it goes without saying that the reason why they made it stack up to 20 is that so you keep building it up beyond 10 if you think you will have a downtime during using it (like say you've used it as soon as you reached 10 and then got teleported to the Heart phase in the Garrosh encounter, wasting the boost effectively, which you usually will know not to use depending on the DBM timer and/or the boss' health.)

I thank you too for providing some insight about the heroic encounters from a windwalker's point of view, having not raided these myself it was a good read. :)

Nothing to add from me.

Me: "The lack of Thrall in the ending of HFC is jarring, wtf?"
Cyn: "As if the call for Alliance tears over the redemption of Grom wasn't enough, you want Thrall in it? Wow dude."
Me: *can't stop laughing*

"We will never be slaves! ... But we will be... Conquerors..."
- Grommash Hellscream, Tanaan

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:02 pm  

Hey again!

I was just wondering if there was any progress on the application or if theres any updates, I'm open to questions and feedback!

Just while the Free Character Migration is available I'd like to see how the application goes.

Thanks again :)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:19 am  

Site Admin

Hello there, thanks for applying!

I like your app and I think Dahl has already covered everything important here (thank you!) so all I can add is that if you're good and reliable enough, you will have a spot in our Mythic team in WoD. We're accepting your application; if you have any other questions, ask away, if not, you can poke us in-game for an invitation.

I am not lazy, I am an effort minimalist.
Q: Horde currently has two very shoutable, very good battle cries. Wondering what I yell as an Alliance character when someone yells 'For the Horde'!?
A: Have mercy?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 3:04 pm  

Excellent news! I'l get my characters transfered tonight, I'm working till 6 I look forward to seeing you all!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]