[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
No skill just luck • View topic - [accepted] Unchyu - Prot / DPS Warrior

No skill just luck

Guild Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:22 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [accepted] Unchyu - Prot / DPS Warrior
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:11 pm  

Character name: Unchyu

Character class: Warrior

Professions: Mining & Blacksmithing @ 600

Talent specs, gear level, Armory link (advanced mode):
Protection (582 ilvl): I have played protection as far as I remember and it is the spec that I know most about. I have looked an some of the best warrior tanks and they all have dodge/parry gems, but I like to unlock the socket bonuses of the items, that's why you might see some stam on my purpule/green gems that go on blue sockets. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... u/advanced
I also have the proven Defender title and You're doing it Wrong as Arms in the Tank Challenge
Arms (562 ilvl): I have made this Arms speck in order to complete every challenge in the Brawler's Guild and to do the Proving Grounds Achievements for DPS (I have managed to get to wave 24 as a dps but I need a better trinket for my burst and more practice)

Respeccing: I like protection a lot because I think it is the most challenging spec to play, but I think you guys are full on tanks at the moment (I have been reading your application board for sometime now) that's why I have started practicing playing as a DPS. I know that Fury is above Arms atm but I dont think I have the gear for it. I know that in 6.0 I would be able to use my tanking gear for my DPS spec as well and I will try Fury also. (To be honest I like Fury more that Arms because of Titan's Grip put I will always play the speck that has the highest DPS outcome)
If I am to raid with you guis as a DPS and a certain fight will require a 3'rd tank, I would gladly respeck.

Class Info: The first thing that comes to mind about warriors is Skull Banner. As protection I always put mine after all the other warriors in the groupe because I know that they have theirs macroed to their burst rotation. Besides that, I'm using Rallying Cry and Demoralizing Banner before high dmg situations, usually in a predetermined raid cd rotation, and using vigilance, disrupting shout and spell reflect if the situation calls for.
As prot: Thunder clap to keep agro on boss or take agro on adds and keep the Weakened Blows debuf always on. Devastate to apply and mantain the Weakened Armor debuf. Shield slam, revenge and Heroic strike on every prock and spend all the rage on Shield Barrier (I know that it is probably not optimal but I never use shield block, instead I use shield barrier because of the 2 piece set bonus). An of course Shield Wall and Last Stand on high DMG blows.
As DPS: Build rage -> Colossus Smash -> unleash hell
Stat priorities are expertise and hit cap (which will go away in 6.0), an equal amount on dodge and parry for prot and full crit for DPS.

Raid experience & Guild history:
I began playing WoW seriously at the end of Cata, and I was a member of the team from my guild (Primal Fear) when we downed Deathwing normal for the first time (I was only a reserve back then), after that their tank came back and they started clearing heroic without me, that's why I stopped playing for a while. I came back when 5.4 hit and the guild was gone. I joined Selected by Nature and progressed with them until we managed to kill Garrosh normal, after which some players went on a break, and after 3 weeks of no raiding I joined Massacre (3/14 HC back then) and progressed with them to 9/14 HC, until 4-5 weeks ago when the RL/GM went on a break from WoW. I'm currently 11/14 HC exp, killing 2 more bosses using groups from openraid.
Memorable moments: Solo tanking Ra Den for the first time and getting the Undying FoS (althow I done it in 5.4 with an avg 580 ilvl groupe). For that fight I have used shield block and barrier to stay alive after the bosses strike.
Favourite bosses: Although I haven't done him when he wes current, I like Barron Gedon because he could still kill me when I was lvl 85 (tank speck) :D.

Your recent performances: I havent been ranked yet.

When can you play: I have checked my schedule and I can come on all of the 3/4 days, except I will have to be 30 min (max) late on Thursday once every 2 weeks because I have a laboratory to attend to at my faculty (they usually dont last the full duration also so it's a high chance to me to be on tine at the raid)

Where are you from: Romania

Age: 24, living on my own, therefore I dont have a 'light's out' hour :)

Communication: Perfectly working mic and TS3

About you: I study electronics and I am very fond of making electronic circuits and 'gadgets'. I also like mountaineering and practice snowboarding.

Why do you want to join and what do you expect from the guild: I wanted really bad to kill Garosh HC before WoD for the FoS but I came to peace with the thouth that that wont happen (considering my current raiding situation => teamless), therefore I am looking to join a team that share the same objectives as I do, and that's to do all the content as fast as posible.

UI and keybinds: http://postimg.org/image/gy84kn9xj/
I'm using the standars WoW interface and buttons 1,2,3,4,5,6 ar the ones most used (button 3 changes betweek Leap, pummnel, Shout, depending on Fight).
Charge, shockwave, Stormbolt, or DMG reduction CD's are all pressed by mouse. (I have played the game so much that I dont look where they are, I just simply click :P)
And yes, if you want to find me you would probably see me camping Watcher Osu in TI (for 2 months now) in order to get my second last piece for Going to need a bigger bag :D

Anything else:
I have seen that a frequently asked question around this forum is about class changes in WoD, so I thought I would answer it here:
Besides that they are reducing the DMg on all of our abilities, they are also removing Skull Banner so no more waiting to burst and protection builds will be on haste and crit. I havent actually played on beta, but I am curyous in trying that berserker thing out.

Please consider this application only if you think I could join the Mythic raid team because I really want to be in the core raidteam
I can answer any question that you may have and any advice is well welcomed.
Thank you for reading and enjoy the rest of your day.

Post subject: Re: Unchyu - Prot / DPS Warrior
PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:43 pm  

Site Admin

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:45 pm  

Thank you for your reply Cynique

First of all sry for not logging out in my DPS gear, but that gear isn't something that I brag about (I even have pvp boots). As I have previously told, I am waiting for the 'gear merging' so I could use the tanking gear I have now (ofc regemed) for the DPS spec. Although I have Greatsword of Pride's Fall heroic ( and Xal'atoh, Desecrated Image of Gorehowl normal, if I am to go nuts as Fury), and as trinkets I have Fusion-Fire Core Heroic and Evil Eye of Galakras Flex. I have logged out in my DPS gear so you can check gemming and reforging. Please keep in mind that this current setup is for Proving Grounds, that's why I have hit only to 6% and expertise to 10% (although I still get parried... will increase that ).

I'm not going to argue with you about keybindings because I do believe that they can speed up your gameplay. I have a lvl 90 disco priest as alt and just by holding 'alt' to cast a spell on myself instead of selecting myself with the cursor saved my ass a couple of times :). I haven't used keybindings yet because I haven't seen any in the warrior guides that I read and I learned the fights so well that I am anticipating when to cast shield wall and/or last stand (they don't share GCD), shockwave, pop a banner, cast rallying cry or charge a bonecrusher ;), although a keybinding for intervene or vigilance might be useful. Another reason for not having lots of keybindings is, as a tank you mostly have to stand still (ofc not in fire and shit) to keep the boss stationary so the DPS can hit the boss form behind and not get parried or dodged, so I have free use of the cursor. I am opened to any suggestion that would improve my play style.

About shield block: I started playing in 5.4 and when I saw the healing bonus provided by the two piece set I said "Why to spend 60 rage on shield block when I can help my healers on overall". And therefore, I don't know the marvels that shield block did pre 5.4. This play stile got me to 11/14 HC and at the end of the day, my recount shows that I take the same amount of damage taken as a DPS (usually half of the other tank). When there are high amounts of dmg inc, just pop shield wall. I can't say about Klaxxi or Garrosh but I had a couple of tries on Siedgecrafter and I could kill shredders without worrying to keep my in the range of healers (I always stay in range but then I wanted to take the add as far away so it won't dmg the group). If I would have to give a conclusion, I would say that shield block is an important spell and I wouldn't have killed Ra Den without it, and I will surely try if when I get to Klaxxi and see that I get my ass kicked (ty tor the tip in advance)

About my DPS rotation... I never played Arms in SoO so I cannot tell you specific encounter strategies, I only made this spec to complete every challenge in the Brawler's Guild, complete wave 30 (currently at 24) in Proving Grounds and hopefully have a decent application for NSJL. From what I figured so far, you have to build rage using Mortal Strike and Overpower (this actually costs 10 rage to cast but usually I end up having more rage at the end), after that use Colossus Smash and spend my rage on 3 Slams. The mobs in PG have relatively low health so I seldomly use Execute. I know that you are supposed to spam Colossus Smash on every proc but I am holding on to it for important moments like when the shield drops or when I have to burst a target. In real raiding situations, when bosses have bigger health, using Colossus Smash on every proc and Execute when the boss is below 20% and the Colossus Smash debuff is gone is probably the way to go. Besides that, I am using Double Time as a good mobility bonus and rage generator using charge, using heroic leap and thunder clap to apply bleeding, bloodbath and bladestorm for aoe and a macro (bloodbath + Berserker rage + skull banner + colossus Smash) for burst DPS. As I was writing this I realized that I should start using Sunder Armor too if I want to get past lvl 30 and Berserker rage on more than the 2 occasions. I know that this isn't probably the thing you wanted to read (me only using 5-6 abilities) but what better moment to start learning than the start on an expansion when all the shit changes and everyone has to learn new rotations :D

About a log: I will most probably have a 25 man heroic run on Wednesday and I have recount installed. I can take screenshots of DMG done, DMG taken, activity, interrupts, healing, absorbs, and then post them here (we will most probably get to Thok). If you prefer a different method, you are most welcomed to say.

Thank you for reading and enjoy the rest of you day.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:43 pm  

Ha i remember progressing Empress heroic with dag missing shield blocks. "Fun" times.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:57 pm  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:07 pm  

I think I have made a mistake when I written that "DPS can hit the boss form behind and not get parried or dodged". I think that this only applies to players and not to bosses, but it is still good to keep the boss still and faced away from raid in case it has a frontal cone attack.

@ Kakoon will do that

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:06 pm  

Hey fellow warrior,

When you wrote "DPS can hit the boss from behind and not get parried or dodged" you were half right. As that does apply when your hit and expertise are both at 7.5%. If these criteria are met then a melee should hit with every single attack when standing behind the target. Not getting hit by the frontal cone damage thing is a nice extra that you can benefit from when positioning yourself like this.
Not sure how new this is to you, perhaps old ( I hope). Just wanted to make this clear so that we are on the same track here :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:59 pm  

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/CymY7nrpaKHqNMVR

There aren't my best stats by far.
The other warr tank had 5 ilvl's below me and had a mixture of dodge/parry and crit gear (even DPS cloak), that's why he did more DMG then me. And after we swapped him with another tank from the group we passed Malk on our first try.

And sry for logging only from Galakras onwards but this is the first time I have used this method and I needed some explaining on how to get it sorted.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:10 pm  

Site Admin

I am not lazy, I am an effort minimalist.
Q: Horde currently has two very shoutable, very good battle cries. Wondering what I yell as an Alliance character when someone yells 'For the Horde'!?
A: Have mercy?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:36 pm  

Hello Dagthul and thank you for your reply, I was really looking forward for an in depth assertion of my play stile.

Everything you wrote is true.
I use Shield Slam at the start of the fight to get agro and after that only use it on every proc (as with Revenge and Heroic Strike), rest of the time I spam Devastate to keep the Weakened Armor debuf. Although this poor usage of Shield Slams, I have always (or at least 90% of the times) more rage generated at the end of the fight than the other warriors. (it seems like there is still room for improvement)
I currently don't have a tracking method for Shield Barrier, and I am spamming it using the same macro as Devastate.
The "heal" macro is my personal Healtstone, casting Berserker Rage,Enraged Regeneration and Demoralizing Shout just to stay safe.
When taught of the "interchangeable button 3", I think what I was trying to do is have more accessible keybindings. I am using heroic leap on bosses like Imersius, Sha, Jug, Shamans, Malk, Spoils, Thok and Blackfuze, and using an interrupt ability (pummel on Nuroshen and Disroupting Shout and Galakras and Nazgrim).
I am currently only using Storm Bolt (although when progressing there were fights like Garrosh where I swapped to Bloodbath), and I am only using it/saving it for adds to interrupt them or immobilize them (mainly on Galakras and Nazgrim).

There is still so much I need to digest form your post, but it really made me realize that I can improve myself and I am determined to get off my ass and make some changes, as keybinding more abilities to improve my timing in critical situations and try to incorporate Shield Block in my playstile.

Plans for the immediate future:
- I'm saying "bye bye" to the ability that has been on my bar since the day I started playing and going to replace it with Pummel to be more efficiently used.
- Stop spamming Shield Barrier, search for a macro that shows me when Shield Barrier drops off and key bind the spell some ware accessible (tips on the macro are welcomed)
- Use Devastate only to apply and maintain the Weakened Armor debuf, use Shield Slam more actively, and use Storm bolt when Slam is on CD (and I don't need to save it for adds)

Again, ty for the insight, this is exactly what I have expected from you guys, and one of the reason I want to join a competitive team is to get better myself (I don't like being last on charts)

I wanted to apply to this guild a lot sooner but I knew I wasn't rdy for it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next