[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
No skill just luck • View topic - [declined]Maximus - Protection Paladin

No skill just luck

Guild Forum
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:16 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: [declined]Maximus - Protection Paladin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:27 am  

Character name: Máxímus.

Character class: Protection Paladin.

Professions: Currently 690 Mining & 606 Blacksmithing.

I’d like to apply for a Heroic raiding spot and possible work my way up from there.

Talent Specs:
15 – Speed of Light: Helps me help others while tanking, if a pack is pulled or just patrols walk by, I’m quickly able to manoeuvre into range to effectively pick up aggro if I’m at distance.

30 – First of Justice: This replaces Hammer of justice to bring down the cooldown by 50%, this has helped me many times as it stuns NPCs when the may be casting very nasty spells, helps out as a survival tool by interrupting spell castings, it has proven to be very handy and it eases some pressure off the healers as I take slightly less damage and every bit helps.

45 – Eternal Flame: There are two main reasons as to why I chose this, the first being that it’s another very handy survival spell, just in case I’m low on HP or that I know I’m about to take a large amount of damage and or be burst upon, I can pop it, which brings me to my second point, It eases pressure off the healers again enabling them to not need to spam heals only on the tank (me) wasting mana, and if it’s a long fight, that could be bad.

60 – Unbreakable Spirit: I chose this over Clemency (All hand spells have 2 charges) mostly because of Divine Protection (Reduce magic and physical damage by 20% &it isn’t a hand spell) cooldown is reduced by 50%, bringing it to a mere 30 seconds which is a very helpful survival spell when under pressure, due to the relatively short cooldown, I can cast it when I feel necessary (once every 2-3 packs). Another great spell for taking large amounts of damage or when the healer could use some pressure relief.

75 – Divine Purpose: This is very helpful for saving and generating holy power which in turn can output more damage, more threat and more self-healing if required. It is also helpful for quickly stacking up Bastion of Glory which makes my Eternal flame 15% stronger per stack for a maximum of 5 stacks. I feel like I’m repeating myself quite a bit but this does help again with survivability.

90 – Holy Prism: I chose this as an effective rotation filler. Every now and then, usually during heavy periods of damage and or large amounts of mobs, I’m quickly casting a lot of spells and with that, there are been times where I’m standing there for a second or two doing nothing as they are all on cooldown which could be bad, just in case I lose aggro, I can’t do much about it, which is where I would use Holy Prism, just to keep the pressure up. Also very handy for single mob encounters i.e. bosses / mini bosses as it can side heal too.

100 – Lastly we have Holy Shield. This increases my block chance by 15%, taking less damage and every time I successfully block an attack, damage is dealt back to the enemy. This also reduces the amount of damage I take and with that, I require less healing.

Wow armoury link – http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... s/advanced
(I'm British, we spell things differently)

Respeccing: I’ve mostly only ever played Protection with my Paladin, I love it so I never felt the need to play anything else, at level 70 arenas, I was holy spec so I have brief background knowledge of holy but that was back at level 70, so I can imagine a lot has changed but the principle is the same.
I’ve never liked playing a DPS role character, I find it quite boring unfortunately (However I do player a hunter for pet collecting), I just don’t enjoy the DPS role which is why I play tank so much, if it aint broke why change it right?
I’d be willing to make the sacrifice to change when needed to an offspec either holy of ret but I won’t enjoy it :D

Class Info: Well, to be honest, playing Protection Paladin is like my calling in wow, Ive always loved playing him and I’ve had him for so long, I created him to be a level 70 twink, and boy was he, after well over a year or two of being a level 70 twink I decided that I owe it to him and should level him to 100 when WoD comes out, I thoroughly enjoyed playing him so why not do it at max level cap. Seemed right and I’ve really enjoyed levelling him to the max.
Some simple ability priorities I used are some obvious ones really, I use Hammer of the Righteous for 2 or more packs and Crusader Strike for single target encounters, does more single target damage and keeps up with threat requirements quite easily.
If by pure chance I miss my first Hammer of the Righteous ability during first pack pull I can quickly use Holy Wrath to gain first threat target, follow up with Consecration to keep threat generation up then wait 0.5-1 second to use Hammer of the Righteous to gain full control if not gained already. For single target, and I miss first strike, I taunt then repeat above followed by Crusader Strike to gain full threat.
There are several abilities and spells I can use as effective survival cooldowns during intense periods to ease pressure, ive mentioned most of them above but some I havn’t which I still use are Ardent Defender, lay on hands and Guardian of the Ancient Kings. All very helpful spells if used correctly.
Ardent Defender: I use this when I know I’m going to die, it gives a last stand so to speak, an extra final few seconds which could be all it takes to gain full health again from what could have been a clear death and or wipe.
Lay on hands: I usually only use this if my health plummets so quick the healers might not have time to react in time and or when as a group, everyone’s HP is low rather low, including my own and I’m taking damage, it helps the healer to not have to worry about that tank if they (me) healed himself to full health. The healer can then focus on healing other members of the group.
Guardian of the Ancient Kings: Usually use during busy encounters, taking high amounts of damage ad or if all other defensive spells / abilities are on cooldown.
For a tank, stamina I’d usually go for as a priority stat to manage, can’t be a sponge paper tank, stamina helps me stay alive. But other than that, I like to prioritise bonus armour and mastery over everything else, armour reduces the damage I take and mastery increases my block chance, increases damage reduction and makes my eternal flame stronger.

Raid experience: My first day of wow was the 17th of January 2007, so I like to think I’m somewhat experienced and at the time was like a drifter, floating from guild to guild, I didn’t find the write one for me until 2009 or 10 (I can’t really remember) when I joined a heavy raiding guild called DragonClaw, raiding 4 days a week, Wrath of the Lich King content normal, I thoroughly enjoyed this raiding of content but unfortunately, from what I remember, the was a great divide, the raid leaders left as the GM wasn’t being so nice to them and when the raider leaders went, so did the raiders, Which is when Delusions of Grandeur was born, to which we continued to raid WOTLK content shortly thereafter. I believe we downed all the bosses, I can’t really remember but I know Sindi was my favourite boss to fight.
At the time, my computer was quite bad when Cata came out so I couldn’t raid sadly, I managed to down the first boss but I knew I couldn’t go on with the computer I had, but I did do LFR’s 8/8 easily over and over. I did pvp instead, I wasn’t very good but it was something to do until MoP came out.
Again my bad computer screwed me as I couldn’t even play wow when MoP was released, so after quite some time, before SoO patch came out, I got a new computer, top of the range and begane to raid again, still in the same guild (DoG). We progressed very quickly through SoO normal and I believe we were the 12th guild to down Garrosh normal , we downed him late 2013. Unfortunately, this was all with my main, a priest healer but is still experience none the less and if proof is required, I can link achievements.
Guild history: I’ve only ever really been in one guild and still am being Delusions of Grandeur, but over the years, it’s somewhat become inactive, it’s a great guild and always will be, made some really good friends there, had a lot of good times, but sadly its somewhat inactive now and I changed to the horde, I was born a horde but was corrupted by the alliance! Now, I’m horde again.

Your recent performances: Unfortunately, I’ve never really kept a log of my recent performances.
When can you play: I'm free Wednesdays, and weekends and every other day I’m usually free during the evenings

Where are you from: UK, England!

Communication: As of a few days ago, my microphone broke but I am getting a new one, and I’m very comfortable speaking to other people other TS / vent and or other programs

About you: I’m 21 years old, studying Computer Science at University. While I work or play wow I like to listen to music, usually some kind of electro music with a good beat to it.

Why do you want to join and what do you expect from the guild: AKA What's in it for you?
To have fun, meet new people with similar interests to me and start to raid normal WoD content.

UI and keybinds: If you're applying for a raiding spot, list your keybinds here and post a screenshot of your combat UI. You can use the img tags or upload it as an attachment.

Keybinds:
Shift-1 through to Shift-6 as bottom left action bar
F1 to F4 is used for marking, (Skull, cross, square and moon)

Attachments:
File comment: UI
WoWScrnShot_111914_000835.jpg
WoWScrnShot_111914_000835.jpg [ 487.56 KiB | Viewed 11311 times ]

Post subject: Re: Maximus - Protection Paladin
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:47 pm  

Hello, going by your stat priority I can assume that you've read up on WoD paladin and misunderstood it completely OR you are just yoloing your character, so here goes

Talents:
Don't use EF, period. BoG only buffs the initial heal.
You should mention when you swap between HA, SW and DP.
Personally I hate Prism, do you ever use the others (and if so, when)?
When would you swap between EmpS, Seraphim and HS?

Rotation (I think?):
Your keybinds imply that you have no clue how the prot rotation works but I'm gonna give you a chance to elaborate on it. (as in, don't just tell me how you pull (which is wrong aswell but whatever))
Your "I have problems with initial threat"-problem would be solved if you taunted on pull and/or used a ranged spell to pull (running into a pack of mobs is just ughrghrhrgh)

Stats:
How can you say you stack stamina and then say you don't want to be a sponge tank...??????????????????????????? (I would use more dots and question marks but I think you get the point)
No, mastery doesn't improve EF.

UI:
No.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 5:00 pm  

Hi,

Going to swap from EF to Sacred Shield, give it a go.

Swapping between HA, SW and DP, HA could be used for bursting, generating more threat to keep up with raid DPS if perhaps hero was cast, SW can help keep aggro for AOE and the additional holy power helps and DP I feel is more of a general purpose passive, sometimes helps quickly build BoG and SotR bursting for effective EF’s
Personally I do like prism and I don’t use the others, I feel the CD is too long to be worth the output they generate.

Swapping between Emps, Seraphime and HS, I personally I would use EmpS during encounters where I’d be taking high amounts of damage for the Insight buff to get a steady health income for 20 seconds, Seraphim I would either use for survivability and or high dps output and HS as another general purpose sort of passive for higher blocking and also blocks spells which is always handy.

Rotation:
I know how tank rotation works, my key binds is just personal pref that works well for me.
For single target, taunt or AvgS, CS, Judgement, Consecration, HW and repeat when off CD and,
for AOE, AvgS, HotR, Judgement, Consecration, HW and again repeat when off CD.
If a target needs interrupting I can quickly use s-4, if my health is low s-6 or s-5 if on cd, s-3 for add taunting and s-1 if a healer / member gets aggro and s-2 for changing between CS and HotR.
Just because its different doesn't mean its wrong.

Threat issue you stated:
Maybe I didn't explain it right then by what you’re saying, I don’t run is shouting Leroy and hope for the best, I always use taunt or my Avengers Shield when pulling a pack / single target, and I never said I have problems with initial threat, what I meant by that is if there were very large groups of mobs exceeding 6 or so, id use my Avenger’s Shield to pick up the majority of the pack and if my AOE HotR missed by chance I can use other AOEs quickly to pick them up without problem…
Stats:
Sponge: Sorry, by this I meant squishy, die quickly / paper tank.
Mastery adds (in my case) 12% to Bastion of Glory, in turn Bastion of glory increases the strength of EF when stacking
UI:
Personal preference, I’ve laid it out how I feel is best for me, I know where all my spells and abilities are and how to use them. At the end of the day, I build my character(s) how I want to build them and lay out their spells how I feel necessary.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:57 pm  

Right.

1, ES v. SS isn't a "give it a go" kind of thing.
2, HA does help with threat and burst dps, as you said, but the most important thing it does is give you 100% uptime of SotR while it's up (and for a few seconds after it falls off) this is HUGE for some fights.
SW is NOT an AoE talent. In fact, it's THE single target dps talent and should pretty much never be used for cleave/AoE/maximum survivability.
Sure, DP can be a general purpose passive, but it shines when you're getting hit often, that is: AoE (logic being: HA is used for burst (AoE usually lasts longer/shorter so it's not worth it), SW is used for single target, this leaves DP. So what makes DP so much better? GC procs.) That said, DP should be used on pretty much every real fight.
3, So what you're telling me is: ES and LH have higher output than Prism (this was implied) but you don't want to use them BECAUSE of their long cooldowns? I actually don't understand this reasoning at all. Our rotation is full as it is, I'd rather have a 1m cd than a 20s one.
4, EmpS is the dps talent, it will get you killed. Seraphim is a dps/tank swap talent. HS is AoE/general purpose.
5, Your correction of your rotation implies you waste HoPo by not using CS/HotR on CD.
6, High stamina at the cost of other stats makes you squishy if you're at the appropriate gear level.
7, Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT. Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT. Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT. Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT. Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT. Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT. Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT. Bastion of Glory does not affect the EF HoT.
Do I have to say it one more time?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:00 pm  

Site Admin

Hey Maximus, we've decided to decline your application. We wish you good luck in search for your new guild!

Image Image

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]