[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
No skill just luck • View topic - [withdrawn] Seraphane - Subtlety Rogue

No skill just luck

Guild Forum
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:52 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: [withdrawn] Seraphane - Subtlety Rogue
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 5:56 pm  

Character name: Seraphane

Character class: Rogue

Professions: Leatherworking & Engineering

First of all I'd just like to say I applied for this guild almost a year ago, I hadn't played WoW in quite a long time before I applied, so my skills weren't up to par and I realised my impatience was wrong and I ended up being declined. So... Since then I have spent the whole year honing my skills being the best rogue I can be, teaching other rogues tips and tricks (why does no one ever use feint?) playing everyday and even managing to kill Mythic Garrosh. I really hope this time my application is more up to your standards as I've put a lot of effort in.

Talent specs, gear level, Armory link (advanced mode): Which spec(s) are you playing? What kind of gear do you have? Include an Armory link of your character.
Respeccing: Being able to play multiple specs or classes is very helpful for many reasons. Can you handle other specs/roles than your primary one? Do you like them? Are you willing to switch to them if needed?

Subtlety. 544. http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/w ... ane/simple
I don't think the other rogue specs are that viable at the moment except for combat in perhaps cleave encounters like Twin Ogron, but I don't believe it's enough to switch to combats crappy DPS. And assassination well... let's not talk about assassination... ever... Though this being said I'm happy with switching specs if need be. Combat was amazing in MoP but I'm pretty happy with Sub being top, those Backstab/Ambush sounds when your Shadow Reflection is out. Mmmmm.... I mained Combat through most of my raid encounters for MoP, so I'd say I've mastered the spec if a respec is in order. I play assassination mostly for questing/things I can't get behind because Aeda is a terrible follower tank, sigh. I've played Subtlety since the 6.0 patch in MoP. I've played it a few times here and then over the years but because of backstab being a pain in the arse to make viable, well it never worked out too well. But then it all changed with 6.0, now here we are... with this beautiful spec with pretty decent dps. I love it. R.I.P. Assassination.

Class Info:
When I first started this game back in 09, I first chose a human Paladin, I remember seeing the Avenging Wrath animation on my friends computer as he mained a Healadin. My first thought was "I need those wings." I believe my choice of classes over the years to raid with has depended on DPS statistics, fun and even personality choices. I chose to level a rogue perhaps 3 years ago when I was having a tough time. I haven't thought of maining a character ever since. My class is the sole of my very being as weird as that sounds. There's a surge of energy when I crit with an ambush or let Killing Spree work it's magic for 6 seconds whilst I sit back and relax and watch my DPS burst like crazy. I've always enjoyed the fast subtle classes in any game and this game makes them seem wonderful.

I believe based on personal choice as I do not like Subterfuge at all, that Shadow Focus is a better choice for now. Whilst burst dps is nice, the haste regen at this gear level is just tedious.
So with that, my rotation consists of pre-potting 2 seconds before pull, then stealth (macro'd). Sometimes the tank pulls a second too early so i just like to be sure. I either Sprint or Shadowstep
to the target depending on the situation, start up with Garrote so I can avoid rupture for a little while. Slice and Dice to give my white attacks some speed, then Hemorrhage is followed by this to get another DoT ticking on the target. Then my favourite part begins. Shadow Dance and Shadow Reflection simultaneously. You can't deny when you pop these two bad boys at the same time those crits and multistrikes gives you a surge. What's that? You had bleeds on the target? Already gone? God dammit multistrike! At this point I'll spam ambush and Eviscerate till the Shadow Dance ends. Sometimes I'll thrown in an Arcane Torrent if there's nothing to interrupt in the fight. Normally Garrote is about to fall off at this point so I'll quickly apply rupture and begin my main rotation by simply spamming Backstab, re-applying Hemorrhage when it drops off, and keeping up Slice and Dice, and Rupture. And ofc Eviscerates when I don't need to re-apply anything. I think it's really important to use vanish effectively and as a dps cooldown, so I will also use this for a free Ambush just as Find Weakness is about to drop off. Whether or not to use Preparation just after Vanish is down to the fight mechanics, but the majority of the time this is the case, thought sometimes I may need that extra Sprint. Keeping Find Weakness up for as long as possible is amazing though. As for defensive cooldowns. I think cloak of shadows is one of the best abilities in the game, complete immunity to magic damage is just OP as hell!. The amount of things I've been able to avoid due to this baby is unbelievable. Not to mention the glypghed version for more defence. Feint, I don't see many people use, but the amount of times this ability has saved my ass during my time on this game, well what can I say. Soloing Morchok for example, without glyphed, talented feint is almost impossible, especially back in MoP. This ability gives the healers a good time at least during AoE dmg. I use Smoke Bomb when I think the AoE dmg is a lot or when the RL calls for raid wide abilities. Tricks of the trade being no cost now. Woo! But no dmg, >:. At least it helps the tanks with Subs high burst at the start of the fight. I use Premeditation in a Macro with Ambush/Garrote (same macro).

At the moment Multistrike and Mastery are equal to each other in terms of stat priority according to well known WoW class guides sites. Atm I believe I have a healthy dose of both this stats. multistrike being nice because of your bleeds being instant damage if Backstab and Ambush multistrike due to Sinister Calling, I also think this a really nice mechanic and much needed for this spec as it was a bit plain before the change. I try to avoid haste as much as possible. Multistrike and mastery barely ever come together in an item, so having at least one of these on an item and some other stat is okay until I get BiS.

Raid experience:
Since 09, I've cleared most raids at current content (at least normal mode, which I guess is heroic now) from Naxx up to the recent where my current guild has managed to get 6/7 Normal and 1/7 HC. Though we don't have many raid days so we don't get much time. I've been apart of quite a few heroic guilds over the years, though not all on Seraphane, as I said I've got other characters I've mained. I did heroics like ICC, Ulduar, Firelands, SoO. Though it's only this past year where I've really put my skills to the test and cleared mythic SoO. Hmm favourite bosses, I guess for lore wise, probably Nazgrim, The Lich King. I guess I don't really have many favourites, I just like to kill them.

Guild history:
At the moment my current guild is having inside problems making it awkward for the members, so I've decided that I wish to try a new Guild and show them my potential, you currently recruited 2 of my guildies recently as they also had the same reasons for leaving. Most my past guilds I left due to leaving the game for one reason or another but it was mostly stable, from time to time I would leave to go to a Heroic guild.

Your recent performances:
I haven't logged anything since SoO unfortunately. And they've expired.

When can you play: Mythic team will be raiding 3 days a week: Wednesday (starting 18:45 server time), Thursday and Sunday (both starting 19:45), ending 23:00. Monday could also rarely be used for rescheduling.
Heroic group will be raiding on Monday and Tuesday, starting 19:45 and ending 23:00.
I am free with these times.

Tell us something about when we can expect you to be online so we can see if the schedules are compatible.
I'm usually online most of the day recently because of my Christmas holiday. :)

Where are you from: Represent your country!
UK. England.

Age: How old are you? We've had problems with parent enrages and don't really want any more!
22. Don't live with my parents.

Communication: Do you own a microphone? Are you okay with speaking using voice-comms (TS3)?
I have a microphone and I can use what ever voice communication is needed.

About you: Tell us something about yourself. We want to get to know the person behind the in-game character; after all, this is a team game and it's nice to know the other members of the team and find people with similar interests!
I am currently in my 3rd year of Computer Science, studying at Aberystwyth University. I like to read books, play all sorts of different games, I own many consoles and currently live with 3 flat mates in a nice house in Aberystwyth. :)

Why do you want to join and what do you expect from the guild: AKA What's in it for you?
I guess I just want to show my potential, I said this last time and I guess I was too soon applying but it's been a year and my potential has shown a lot through that time, I still have much more I can learn so I just want to progress with a really good raiding guild and show you that I'm not a waste of time and that I'm the best rogue you'll have. The thrill when you down a difficult boss is just something that other games don't have. I just want that more than anything.

UI and keybinds:

http://i.imgur.com/nnaksEv.jpg
As you can see I've used lines to present the different functions my razer naga uses in order to use my abilities. The whole left side of the naga, uses the top bar which consists of my cds, movement, defensive abilities, interrupt etc. I keep Kidney Shot on one of the mouse buttons near the top so I can quickly use it on CD for efficiency with stun-able targets. My mouse wheel button is used for my Recuperate, Smoke Bomb, Sap, Shroud with shift and alt. The mouse wheel is also associated with the left of my action bar, this is also where some of my cds are shown, including my stealth. This is literally binded to the mouse wheel direction (Left and right, naga function, cool right :P) Obviously moving the wheelhouse left will do the first ability on the action bar, then pressing shift, the next one, alt, the 3rd. Same thing for the other 3 but on the right right direction of the mouse wheel. I prefer loads of keybinds to pressing buttons. It's much faster imo. I've binded Fan of Knives to my "F" key for easy of access when running around spamming it on trash etc. Also it's macro'd with crimson tempest with shift + F.

Macros:
http://gyazo.com/08e37feacdbf3aaf637350575c21e831
My macros consist of mostly modifiers and @onmouse functions so I can switch targets easier, because tabbing is so bad in this game.
I.e. Pressing Shift;
http://gyazo.com/9ba49491276e5ee7408488a32c9e862c

Addons:
The essentials and a few other things I rely on such as Elvui, DBM, Omen, Skada (don't like recount, not accurate), Mik's Scrolling Battle Text, Poisoner, Weakauras, Quick Talents, and others though not useful for raiding.

Anything else:
As I said above, I have applied before, almost a year ago. I believe I'm ready to raid with you guys. I have every single class in the game at a least level 90, so I can say with confidence I know the mechanics of most the game and it's classes. I've played perhaps 90% of the specs available. I really do love my Rogue, he is the sole of my account and will always be, but if it's ever needed to change classes I can also do that. Atm, I'm slightly worried looking at the latest simcraft results for rogues being very far at the bottom. I guess with BiS I won't be the best DPS, but I can say that I will be the best rogue, and every class brings something unique to the table. Though I believe Sub got a buff this morning so it will be nice to see that in action. If only Blizzard could rebalance properly. :(

If you need any other information I'm physically always on WoW this holiday and I have Skype and TS3. You can also add my B.net. Noctis#2384

Thanks for your time. Sorry that it's a long one. :P

Post subject: Re: Seraphane - Subtlety Rogue
PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:53 am  

Hello and thanks for applying.

Generally your application looked not bad, except some key moments about your class which is the most important part. Also it seemed that you've just assumed which specs are currently viable and which are not.
"I don't think the other rogue specs are that viable at the moment except for combat in perhaps cleave encounters like Twin Ogron, but I don't believe it's enough to switch to combats crappy DPS"
-- Combat is the best spec for all bosses in Highmaul except for Butcher. Kargath and Ko'ragh might also be in this list, but that depends of your specific role on these encounters. Combat's pure single target dps is worst among other specs, indeed.

A few question for you:
1) What do you think about this: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/6 ... lass=Rogue
Can you explain why assassination is better than subtlety on this particular fight?

2) You don't use garrote in PvE. The only scenario one might want to open with garrote is opening in arena vs casters and only due to its silence component.

3) What websites do you use for getting information about your class/spec, some recent changes, other classes/spec rebalancing, stat weights etc?

4) "Tricks of the trade being no cost now. Woo! But no dmg, >:. At least it helps the tanks with Subs high burst at the start of the fight"
-- high burst?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 12:58 pm  

DPS Benchmark:
http://www.noxxic.com/wow/dps-rankings#666,real,

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/I ... o/advanced

Sub's cleave is not too great, assassination has nice uptime on poisons and rupture. Combat is also useful for blade flurry on this fight. One of the few bosses I would change for if combat scaled a lot more with gear and showed nice cleave potential, but I haven't had the chance to properly calculate it yet.

Well our combat rogue does barely 17k whilst im pulling 21k with my shitty gear. (this was even on ogron) I guess combat is just more "viable" because of all the uses for blade flurry even though the dps is half decent. Sub is still better for maximum dps, always has, just more easy to use now. I still think most great rogues play sub for the majority of bosses. You can't tell me Spazzo doesn't main Sub when he has two mythic daggers.

Besides I said I would go back to combat if needed, I did main it for a year after all, but I think a good rogue can make better use on sub on most encounters. Even on Tectus I can pull pretty high DPS if I have good uptime. The combats dps for the first two phases is not enough to make up for the 3rd.

Icy Veins, always.

And I guess garrote must have changed recently because in 6.0 is 100% was the go to move from stealth.

I burst like 30-40k dps.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:42 am  

Sub is good at cleave, the reason assass wins is that their rupture and (if you're not retarded) poisons keep ticking when the bosses are apart (sub has to be in FoK-range of both to cleave optimally)

Don't use Noxxic for anything except having a laugh. IcyVeins is also kind of shit atm. (for rogues, anyway) Your stat weights are wrong because of this.

Your comparison to that combat rogue is anecdotal. The specs are kind of close and are getting niched to shit, so just play whatever you enjoy. Sub isn't easier to play now than it used to be (what made you think that, anyway?)

Your Tectus assessment is anecdotal.
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/6 ... lass=Rogue
https://www.warcraftlogs.com/rankings/6 ... fficulty=4

Please explain your reasoning behind opening with Garrote when specced into Shadow Focus... it doesn't make any sense at all.

Prep should be used offensively, you will never "need that extra sprint", and if you do, you are wasting Vanish CD

Overall you seem to be either clueless or have bad sources of information, probably the latter but oh well.

(You can pot without breaking stealth now btw :D)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:00 pm  

Alright, thanks for the feedback. I'll take more notice in overall player base choices over mainstream websites.
Though one question. Do your rogues prioritise Combat or Sub first? I assume Combat because of the 4 out of 3 bosses being more valuable for Combat. Though I see some of these players going full mastery over haste (which I assume is still Combat's top prio) or do they just have 2 sets of gear?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:57 pm  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]