[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
No skill just luck • View topic - [approved] Fintion, Warrior 80

No skill just luck

Guild Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:50 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Post subject: [approved] Fintion, Warrior 80
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:56 pm  

Character name: Fintion
Character class: Warrior
Character level: 80
Played time: 18 Days, 12 Hours, 21 Minutes

Character professions + their skill level: Mining 450, Jewelcrafting 450 (though limited high level recipes currently as recent)

Character talent spec and gear level: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... cn=Fintion

Willing to respec if needed?: I would prefer to retain my Fury main spec but happy to adjust this if anyone has advice. Secondary talent spec is unassigned at the moment and am happy to use this however is necessary, whether to fill a hole in the guild or anything more specific.

Class information: I am still learning and getting used to perfecting my rotation which has been made more difficult with patches but with some research and a little trial and error, essentially use Bloodthirst>Mortal Strike(if available)>Heroic Strike and then Execute when it hits. Depending on the Tank’s preferences I try to add whatever they want in like Sunder. However as stated still learning my character and adjusting accordingly with the patches. In terms of my role try to sit on the tanks shoulder to but will tend to keep an eye on healer as well in case of any breakaway mob and use Intercept to stop them.

Raid experience: None aside from one weekly to get a taster!

Guild history: None. My first character and only wanted to get involved in a guild once I got a decent grasp of the game.

When can you play: I am on most evenings around your raiding times until late and would be available some weekends. I should be able to plan my time accordingly and will make sure I’m around if I say I will be.

Where are you from: Ireland

About you: Hi am a friendly guy who started playing WOW about six months ago and have been fairly addicted ever since. I’ve only recently got to level 80, hence the lack of gems/enchanting/glyphs etc on my admittedly underspecced gear, but have been advised not to waste money on this given we’re about to hit Cataclysm where I’ll fully spec up. I’m the first to admit I’m only learning but I like to think I don’t make the same mistake twice and all advice gratefully received.

Why do you want to join and what do you expect from the guild: This guild has been recommended to me by Dahlia. I am looking to join the guild from a social side at the moment and for advice and experience as I progress. Hopefully as time goes on I will become more useful to the guild and can assist in raids and progression in Cataclysm. This is a friendly and experienced guild and hopefully I can add to this in time.

Anything else: I should share I was an Alliance gnome for first 40ish levels before I started to hate myself and was shown the light and moved server and faction! Certainly won’t be changing back and if it helps, look at it as insider information on the enemy!

No you stupid Orc, nobody rides the lady!

Post subject: Re: Fintion, Warrior 80
PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:05 pm  

Officer

:D

So Duncan, hello. You decided to do it finally? I will be happy if we became in the same guild, my good friend.

So guys, this is Duncan. Some of you remember him we took him with us to ToC10 just to show him around what raiding means, he is very new and while he still learning he is -from my experience- very open to crticism and to other points of view. He only recently dinged as he said and I told him his armory is irrelivant at the moment but to post it nonetheless.

I can say this: I known Duncan for a while now and he is a really nice, friendly and mature fellow like most of us there. I predict he will fit will and in case he got in I am hoping we can hold his hand. Who knows, it might go from social to something else but that of course depends on guild needs and his own performance and alot of other factors, so we are not going there.

Please ignore his gear etc. I was the one who told him to not waste gold on gems and not to get reciepies from JC for now and try to stack on gold. He recently could get himself the epic flight skill as well without any outside help that is worth mentioning, which is very good for a first character imo in this short time.

All in all, i am actually pleased in the application being clean and written in a very organized manner, considering the guy is writing a guild application for a very first time. Think of him as when we were new!

Dahlia pleas for granting social spot. I am certain you will like him. :)

Me: "The lack of Thrall in the ending of HFC is jarring, wtf?"
Cyn: "As if the call for Alliance tears over the redemption of Grom wasn't enough, you want Thrall in it? Wow dude."
Me: *can't stop laughing*

"We will never be slaves! ... But we will be... Conquerors..."
- Grommash Hellscream, Tanaan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:27 pm  

He is applying on social spot so i dont see any problem to vote FOR, he is also recommended by member who has good reputation so that is even better. I hope you will not be disappointed by our behaviours because we are guild full of drinkers (/poke Polish and Czech part of guild :-) ) and we are also very talkative. Geser out.

P.S.: Dont forget that Dark Lady is watching over you.

"FLAME! DEATH! DESTRUCTION! COWER MORTALS BEFORE THE WRATH OF LORD!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:40 am  

Officer

Kill mutant!
Burn Heretic!
Purge the unclean!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:13 am  

Officer

Geser: Thanks for the sweet word man. =)

Ulvman: The first rule of the Fight Club is that you do NOT talk about the Fight Club! I said that unenchanted chest was an accident! *hides in shame*

I am with you Ulv for the enchanting/gemming thing, I treat my fresh 80s the way you said: Cheap gems enchants. The thing is, as fresh character in his case I forsaw that it will benefit him more to go for the epic flying mount instead, and I gave him all scenarios fairly. I can assure you that his mentality is like what you prefer: He likes to do things right.

And I wasn't saying it is hard to get epic flying. I have it on all my alts and can supply 15+ alts with 310%. Thing is for his case i admired it as a new player and without outside help, that's all.

Besides Ulv, you implying that earning gold is hard amirite? :P

Laslty, no matter how much cranky you go on me I know for a FACT that you like me Ulvman. Shall I remind you of the incident 2 days ago? Hint hint: alt you didn't know who was it. :P
That seriously made me feel happy! :D

Cyn: "As if the call for Alliance tears over the redemption of Grom wasn't enough, you want Thrall in it? Wow dude."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:03 am  

Site Admin

This thread contains walls of text. Me like :).

Hello there, thanks for your app ;)

I think Geser, Ulv and Dahl summed up pretty much all the important general things. Ulv and Dahl are both right about the gems and enchants, it's always good to have everything sorted out (and it's a prerequisite for raiding), but on the other hand one week before Cata hits it may indeed be better to just save the money because you'll be replacing stuff with greenies and blues anyway during leveling. Since you're applying as social at the moment, I'm willing to tolerate the current state of your gear.

Since you say you are happy to take advice, let me comment a bit on things specific for warriors now. First of all, if you need some theoretical info, you should be able find it on the web, I can recommend searching through and of course .

Glyphs: Armory is still broken and the new one isn't working at the moment (at least for me) so I can't see your glyphs; well, glyphs of Raging Blow, Bloodthirst, Slam and Cleave are mandatory, the rest depends on personal preference I think.

Spec: Blood Craze sucks. Before the nerf it was a pretty interesting talent (at least for tanks) that gave us some very good self-healing. Now it's just 1% of total HP per point so you won't even notice it, not to mention that it does nothing to increase your DPS (sure, I know that 0 HP = 0 DPS, but this just isn't worth it).
Die by the Sword – yeah, if you're only running 5-man dungeons then this talent is pretty decent and may save you some repair bills. For current raiding it is however worthless.
All the talents you skipped in the second tier are potentially pretty useful. Booming Voice indirectly increases your DPS by giving you more rage to spend, Rude Interruption is pretty self-explanatory and Piercing Howl gives you additional raid utility. In a few ICC fights its usefulness is simply amazing.
Heroic Fury gives you more mobility, which, for a melee class, is also very important. The only other optional talent left, Furious Attacks, may be useful during leveling or in the new raid environments in Cata; in current content it's probably only good for PvP or Anub in ToC.
I am well aware that it's only one more week before the new expansion hits and that some of the points listed here may become invalid. I'm just trying to show you the potential of some of the other talents in the current available content. Both Blood Craze and Die by the Sword will probably help you during leveling.

Gear: Again, this may change when Cata hits, but right now our stat priorities are roughly Hit to 8% + Expertise to 26 > Str > Hit to 27% > Crit > Haste > Mastery. Since the rage normalization hit is probably our most valuable stat: there is a set amount of rage gained per hit now (no longer calculated from damage) so it's important to hit as often as possible to have enough rage for our specials. However a lot of people say that you should not drastically lower one of your stats but rather try to keep them balanced (for example it's good to have at least around 35% crit for optimal Flurry uptime) – the theorycrafting is always evolving so we will probably get some more concrete data later on).
As for gemming, it's pretty safe to use +str gems in red sockets, +str/+hit in blues and +str/+crit or +str/+haste in the yellow ones.

Ability priorities: I think that by Mortal Strike you meant Raging Blow because Mortal Strike is only available to Arms warriors ;). The rest is mostly correct though. Bloodthirst, Raging Blow and Heroic Strike all hit very hard, BT and HS both have only a 3 sec cooldown and Heroic Strike is not linked with the global cooldown so you can use it simultaneously with BT or RB if you have enough rage. The basic thing to remember is to try to keep these three abilities on cooldown if rage allows. You can for example have a rotation similar to this (shamelessly copypasted from a mmo-champ forum thread): BT-RB-HS-BT-HS-BT-RB-BT-HS. You use the instant Slam procs from Bloodsurge only when there's nothing else to hit – Slam currently doesn't hit hard enough to justify delaying the next BT or RB; this may change later or with a Single-minded Fury build where Slam hits with both weapons. If you need an Enrage effect to be able to use RB, you should use Berserker Rage or Death Wish (DW should probably be on cooldown though unless you're saving it for a specific opportunity). Whirlwind is only used in multi-target situations (you'll also be using Cleave there instead of Heroic Strike). Being able to Sunder when there's nobody else to provide the debuff is also a plus. It's usually not necessary in our raids though.

Can't really think of anything else to post at the moment, brain power is running out. If you got any questions or observations, feel free to post them here, we can of course talk in-game as well.

/for

I am not lazy, I am an effort minimalist.
Q: Horde currently has two very shoutable, very good battle cries. Wondering what I yell as an Alliance character when someone yells 'For the Horde'!?
A: Have mercy?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:17 am  

Officer

Thanks alot Dag for your comments up there. He was telling me just before he logged off today that he is welling to ask for advice from you when I told him that our GM is a warrior. I think when he checks this tomorrow after work he will be very pleased.

I will leave the rest of talking to him if he has anything in mind to ask himself here. However I just got one question myself from all that (since this might slip his mind, and for my personal curiosity): What about expertise? Is the expertise you usually get from gear enough or shall it be considered as stat priority?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 01, 2010 1:22 am  

Site Admin

omg my own wall of text crit me for over 9000.
I knew there was something I forgot to mention, thanks Dahlia, I inserted the expertise into the stat priorities. It's of course very important as well to eliminate the dodge chance. Orcs get a very nice bonus to expertise so it's even easier to reach the cap from just a few pieces of gear; any expertise over the cap (or overcapped hit) should be of course reforged to something else.

I am not lazy, I am an effort minimalist.
Q: Horde currently has two very shoutable, very good battle cries. Wondering what I yell as an Alliance character when someone yells 'For the Horde'!?
A: Have mercy?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 am  

Thanks for this. Some great advice.

I had those Glyphs apart from Slam which I went and got. I don't use Slam very much so hadn't looked to get it before (had a gap anyway so not sure what I was waiting for really!).

Happy to review the spec, had been choosing talents based more on the fact I was levelling and was probably more haphazard than anything else. I will probably leave it for now and see how I get on next week. After that will be doing some experimentation and some picking of brains and sites far more qualified than me.

Are those numbers for stats accurate for Cataclysm or do we not know yet what the caps will be? I'm presuming at this stage it's not worth gemming my current pieces seriously but have some gems in the bank so may look to use these for some low level gems as you've suggested just to knock them up a bit.

Again thanks for the advice, all gratefully recieved, and regardless of what you decide on the guild I will probably be back.... ;>

No you stupid Orc, nobody rides the lady!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:26 am  

Officer

Whisper any officer in game for an invite. Welcome on board.

Kill mutant!
Burn Heretic!
Purge the unclean!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next